Saturday, June 5, 2010

God Hates Fags

Did that get your attention? Now imagine it coming from the mouth of a 6 year old. I couldn't, until I watched 20/20 last night. I was appalled like I have never been before. Now, my second journey into Christianity is still fairly new, but I'm pretty sure that what I've read in the Bible does not contain those three words, or anything about God hating anyone, anywhere in it.

Everything I've seen is about God's love for us. ALL of us. And the fact that we are all sinners and that no one sin is greater than another. Except blasphemy. And I think that what this "church" is doing borders on blasphemy to me:

The Baptist Confession of Faith says: “Therefore, to swear vainly or rashly by the glorious and awesome name of God…is sinful, and to be regarded with disgust and detestation. …For by rash, false, and vain oaths, the Lord is provoked and because of them this land mourns.”

In my humble, non-Bible-scholarly opinion, these people are using the name and Word of God to promote ideals that are not Godly in any way. They are giving Baptists and Christians a bad name. All of Jesus' teachings are to promote love, acceptance, and caring towards others. Even murderers and enemies, because again, all sin is equal in God's eyes. Tiger Woods' adulterous actions with multiple women are the same sin as a woman lying to her boss about being ill to get a day off from work (hmmm....don't know where I came up with that example...never done that before).

I am neither Democrat, Republican, pro-war, or anti-war, but regardless I am proud and indebted to the men and women fighting for my freedom. The thought
of anyone choosing to picket the funeral of someone who lost his life fighting to give those very people the right to even have this church and "worship" this way is vile to me. And the fact that they are ingraining their hateful rhetoric into their childrens' brains is even more despicable. It honestly borders on child abuse. And while as a Libertarian I in no way agree or support the ruling recently about a dad who is forbidden by the court to take his daughter to a non-Jewish church, part of me kind of wishes that someone could forbid these people to take their children into this awful, hate-spewing environment.

Last night, my husband and I watched this story with a mixture of disbelief, sadness, and revolt. I don't even have words for people who do this kind of thing. If I were the fighting type, I would be tempted to give them a taste of their own medicine, driving by their house with signs saying something like "America hates you and you give religion a bad name, you scum of the Earth".

But that would go against the teaches of Christianity that I'm trying to follow.




8 comments:

  1. that is terrible, I agree. God does love everyone, but it is very clear in the Bible that homosexuality is a sin. That said, it is no worse than adultery or lying, cheating or stealing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more with everything you just said. If, God forbid, my husband were to be KIA and these scumbags turned up, it would take all I had not to shank each and every one of them. These men and women are dying to keep us free, and to continue to allow the scum of the Earth to voice their opinions. WBC makes me want to vomit every time I hear their 'church' mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth,

    Yes, the bible states that homosexuality is a sin. But why are these people going to military funerals and protesting because 'God wants them to die because they fight for the freedom of gays.' That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, i don't agree with what they're doing. it's awful. they give true Christians a bad name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't specifically discuss homosexuality because it's such a hot button issue. The Christian stance, in my opinion, should be hate the sin and not the sinner. I think that's where you stand with that Elizabeth.

    These people are obviously not following that mantra.

    ReplyDelete
  6. very true, Cannonball :) Although a former gay man spoke to my college and he said that Christians who are struggling with homosexuality hate that phrase b/c to gays, they consider their sexuality to be a huge part of their identity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. God doesn't hate the sinner but He does hate the sin and homosexuality is a sin. 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (NIV): "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters, nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God." Like previous posters pointed out, homosexuality is the same as all of the other sins (except blasphemy). But we are not here to judge others, just love them which is the point you are trying to make (I think!). Check me out at www.alysbloggityblog.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What they are teaching these kids disturbs me so much. I couldn't sleep at night if I were teaching such hatred to my children. It seriously gives me chills to hear such things.

    ReplyDelete